Saturday, May 21, 2011

Burlap Topiary!

I had all the best intentions of making this a great tutorial but in the heat of the moment I forgot to take some key pictures!  Oops!  Well anyways I love how these turned out and am so happy I finally got to put them together!  I have had the topiary forms for a few months now but waited to get into our new place to see where they would go and what they should really be like!

So by the way yes this is a sneak preview of the new living room!  We've been in two weeks now and haven't gotten to hanging things!  Soon soon... or at least I keep telling myself.  The issue is that the walls are extremely soft so taking out nails leaves a lot of damage behind.  So we want to be pretty sure of what goes where when we put it up!

So for now I just place things wherever I can!  Oh an my new obsession is hiding things behind doors!  Thus the new media storage units!  The right one from target and its counter part from a thrift store!

Anyways back to the Burlap Topiaries!

Here was my supply list! (for two topiaries)
1 yard primary burlap (I found 6 yards at a thrift store!)
1/4 yard secondary burlap
2 Topiary form
2 flower pot
Moss or something for the base (dirt area)
hot glue gun
scissors
Pen
something to make a circle stencil (I used a soup can) - I had two different ones since I did smaller circles for the secondary burlap

How To:

1. Lay out burlap and fold in half.  Place soup can and begin tracing around it across the burlap in rows.  (I made 60 circles which yielded 120 burlap pieces from the primary burlap)

2.  Repeat the first step with secondary burlap but I only did 15 traces.

3.  Cut out all the circles (leave the fabric doubled up to cut two at a time)

4.  Pinch the circles in half and then pinch the other ends in to make a burlap flower.

5.  Now sew the end together to keep the folds in place.  No need to do anything fancy or worry about doing a stay stich they just need to stay together to get it to the glueing stage!

6.  Cut 1 inch wide strips of burlap the length of your yardage to wrap around the topiary form.

7.  Glue one end  of the strip and begin wrapping it around to cover the form.  Glue down end and repeat with another strip until it covers the whole form.  This will provide a base so that when you peek through the burlap flowers you don't see the form.

8.  Take one of the flowers and put the glue on the bottom tip then place it on the topiary.  I started at the very top and worked out and around from there.  They don't need to be super close since the flowers have body and the wrapped burlap saves any peek-a-boos.  I used about 50-60 primary flowers and 15 secondary flowers per topiary.

9.  Then I used some Spanish Moss I found at a thrift store to cover the base and add some green dimension!

10. Place them and enjoy!

DONE!

So I know I missed a few photos but I hope it was a good tutorial anyways!  I absolutely love the dimension they have added to my living room so far!

Due to this post I finally hit my 100 follower mark so please check out my giveaway to allow me to say thanks to you all!

20 comments:

1. RachelMay 22, 2011 11:20 AM

Super cute! I love how they came out--kind of sweet and dainty, but kind of rough at the same time. Great idea!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

2. MaryMay 23, 2011 9:34 AM

I am your 100th follower!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!! You're doing a beautiful job on your blog, and I love your topiaries. I'm visiting from Centsational Girl's linky party, and am very glad to meet you! Stop by my place for a visit some time!

Mary @ Redo 101

3. SixMay 23, 2011 2:44 PM

Thanks for the great idea!! I am going to have to make some of these- they are darling!
    I found your blog and I am loving all the stuff you have on here! I am your newest follower and I would love to have you follow back!
    Camille
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

4. Chef in TrainingMay 24, 2011 10:09 AM

these are SO cute! I am definitely going to have to try these out! I enjoyed taking a look around your blog and am your newest follower! I would love for you to take a look at my blog and follow me too!
    -Nikki

5. Le Chateau des fleursMay 25, 2011 2:26 AM

This is super cute! never seen those before! Great job! follow me back :)
    Come on the 1st to link this link or anything you would like for a chance to be featured for 1 month on my side bar and win a gift!
    Grab a button!
    XO

6. Petie@inspirednesting.comMay 25, 2011 8:24 AM

Very cute! I even liked it with just the ball wrapped to put several in a bowl. Tks for sharing! Good luck with hanging pictures. I hate when I put so many holes in the walls. Might help to cut paper bags the size of art and look at it for awhile before you make the holes?! :)

7. The Autocrat: HaleyMay 25, 2011 8:37 AM

Those look great!

8. Lauren @ My Wonderfully MadeMay 26, 2011 6:34 AM

I JUST bought some burlap on sale thinking I'd do SOMETHING with it -- these are SO pretty!! May have to give it a try!

9. RosarioMay 27, 2011 8:22 AM

They are great and thanks for sharing how you made them. I have seen lots of blog homes that have these as decoration. And Mom had a few in her home. She got them at thrift stores. So I borrowed one. I am thinking of making some of day, but not sure when?

10. Courtney ~ French Country CottageMay 27, 2011 9:27 AM

Love it~love it ~ love it! :)

11. {nifty thrifty things}May 28, 2011 6:28 AM

Very cute!!! Love it!
    Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

12. freckled laundryMay 28, 2011 5:06 PM

Love it Kaitlin!!! Did you redesign your blog or am I crazy? Looks good either way.

13. AnnaMay 28, 2011 8:33 PM

This is super cute! I'd love it if you'd share this at my Weekend Warrior Link Party.

Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

Here's the link: http://www.askannamoseley.com/search/label/Weekend%20Warrior%20Link%20Party

14. KaysiMay 30, 2011 5:08 PM

cute!!! love it!

15. Tanya @ Greetings From the AsylumMay 31, 2011 10:09 AM

I have some left-over burlap that is just begging to be turned into a cute topiary like yours. Thanks for sharing your wonderful project!

16. ElizabethMay 31, 2011 3:22 PM

Love this! Featuring it on my Facebook page today! Thanks so much for linking up to Made With Love! http://www.facebook.com/SewChatty

17. LeslieMay 31, 2011 5:17 PM

This is adorable!!! I need some house decorations since I just bought a house almost 2 months ago. LOVE THIS, thanks for sharing!

18. MegJune 2, 2011 5:49 PM

Oh, this is fabulous! I love burlap and this would be a great addition to a shelf I have...!

19. BecolorfulJune 5, 2011 3:04 PM

What a great project and look. I like the organic feel that these have and the shape and texture are a good design element to bring into the room. Nicely done. Thanks for linking them up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful. I hope you will visit and share again soon.
    Pam

20. Bella@Bellabeforeandafter.blogspot.comJune 11, 2011 9:09 PM

Kaitlin, you did an amazing job with these topiaries. I love the burlap, the texture, and the way you added some white to it.

Thanks so much for linking up to my party :)
    I loved this so much, I featured you girl!
    Come grab a button girl, and display it proudly!

Hugs, Bella **Features from week #38** @ Bella Before and After