Thursday, April 28, 2011

Shoe Makeover!

I love Vans.  I have bought so many different pairs I can't even remember them all.  I wear them A LOT except for this one pair.  I'm not a keep it white kinda gal because it's basically impossible for me.  The original plan for these was to get them spray painted by an artist at Pike Place Market in Seattle but I was lazy and by the time I got around to bringing them to him.... he had disappeared from the Market.  So they sat in my closet for a few years.

When my wedding rolled around I realized how great they would be for a back up set of shoes!  I totally ended up putting them on half way through my reception!  So I danced in my clean white Vans instead of toppling over in my heels.  It was one of my better decisions of the day.  Once that day was over though I was back to having a useless white pair of shoes!

Anyways I've been pretty stingy on spending money on shoes lately but it's coming into spring and most of my shoes are a few years old so I've been on the look out for cheap good and new shoes.  Then in struck me.... SHOE MAKEOVER!  I could paint my own shoes with the help of my Trusty Silhouette!  I seriously love my Silhouette it's magic!

So I measured the tops of my shoes and then started making a design in my Silhouette program.  I'm not really a fan of pink but some pink vinyl came in the discounted Silhouette kit I got so I thought this would be a good time to use it. (you could also try and use wax paper and iron it to the shoe)  Once I had come up with my springy/summer design for my shoes I cut it out and placed it on the shoe like a stencil.

I picked up some fabric paint from Michaels with the 20% off total purchase coupon they have right now.  I just did basic colors but with the bright White I knew they would pop!
Didn't they turn out great?  I am SO pleased with them.  Honestly I get finally use my shoes without being afraid to get them dirty and saved myself from needing a new pair of shoes!  Such a big savings.  The paints were only $4.50 total so it was a pretty cheap project on my end.

Check out this great blog where I am linking up my Silhouette projects!  It is a blog party for all for crafty cutters!

45 comments:

1. That's so fun! I love it!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

ReplyDelete
  2. so clever!! just love them :)

ReplyDelete
  3. HI! Love the vans! Own some myself...but sadly...no birds!
    Really fun idea!
    Violetpaperwings.blogspot.com

ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh they came out SOOOO cute!!!! GREAT JOB!!!

www.iheartmygluegun.com

ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with your shoe makeover!

6. Connie @ Measured by the HeartApr 29, 2011 08:48 AM

Great idea!! I'm coming to you from sassy sites. I'm happy to be your newest follower. Please stop by for book club or blog design if you're interested--connie, measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com

ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I love them!

8. Megan @ Cut the Craft!Apr 29, 2011 10:00 AM

Love love LOVE these! Great job!

Megan
    www.CutTheCraft.com

9. Luvbuzz HandmadeApr 29, 2011 10:09 AM

I love these! I am a bit of a shoe hoarder myself and also love vans! And, like you, I cannot do white. This was a really great idea. I live in Olympia and I totally know all about the airbrush shoe dude in Seattle! I think you did a great job on your own though!!! Thanks for sharing.
    -Maryah ( luvbuzzhandmade.blogspot.com )

ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! I hope they keep your special day comfy!

ReplyDelete
  11. omg! kaitlin this is my favorite of your projects yet! love love love these. nice job lady!

ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that is sooo cute! I have a million Sharpies and think I should buy a pair of canvas shoes, just to decorate... this is so inspirational!

13. Cheryl @ Sew Can DoMay 2, 2011 10:59 AM

Seriously cute! I just got a Silhouette & this is a great idea for using it. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! These are so cute. Love them! I'm visiting from Embellishing Life. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyDelete
  15. nice makeover!now this is a unique pear of canvas! :-)

ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I am a new follower. :)

17. Angela BrickerMay 2, 2011 10:38 PM

Those are awesome!! Just wanted to let you know I gave you an award over on my blog-thanks for having such an inspiring blog!
    -Angela

18. Cozy Home ScenesMay 2, 2011 11:04 PM

I totally love this project! I love birds anyway, but these shows look like they would be so fun to wear. You'll probably get lots of compliments on them in real life too!

19. Jen-CraftOManiacMay 3, 2011 06:20 AM

THIS IDEA IS JUST PRECIOUS AND i LOVE THE Design you chose. So cute and clever. winks-jen

20. {nifty thrifty things}May 3, 2011 08:22 AM

This is such a great idea!! I'm in love with these shoes!
    I would love it if you shared your creativity at my linky party @ {nifty thrifty things}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

ReplyDelete
  21. omg! They are so stinkin' cute!

22. Nicolette @ Momnivore's DilemmaMay 4, 2011 07:02 PM

What a fun idea...

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back this week.

ReplyDelete
  23. They are adorable! I've painted keds freehand but I love the stencil idea with the vinyl. Thanks for sharing!!

24. Crystal (theweekendhomemaker.com)May 5, 2011 09:27 AM

These are really cute! I think I need a Silhouette machine!

25. Hollie - TheSevenYearCottage.comMay 5, 2011 09:31 AM

Fun way to dress up a plain pair of shoes!

ReplyDelete
  26. I love these, they are adorable... What a great way to spruce up shoes you might not have worn again for fear of getting them dirty! Thanks for linking to It's Stinkin' Cute Craft Thursday!

27. The Tootsie WootsieMay 5, 2011 11:34 AM

This is just so cute and really fun!!! thanks fro sharing!

28. Lauren @ YoungNesterMay 5, 2011 05:31 PM

So cute! I could never have enough shoes :) I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link party! It lasts all week!

ReplyDelete
  29. awww so cute!! And I looove that you changed into these at your wedding...so fun!

Thanks so much for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

ReplyDelete
  30. such a fun idea for personalizing a pair of canvas shoes...love it! thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded!

alison
    stuff and nonsense

31. the cape on the cornerMay 6, 2011 11:10 AM

from one vans girl to another, i love them! i have bought the same pair of vans over and over for years, i love them so. rocking the white pair at your wedding is flippin' priceless! LOVE that! and the birds on them now are super cute!

32. Lauren @ 31diyMay 6, 2011 11:17 AM

What a great idea! Your shoes are adorable!

33. {nifty thrifty things}May 7, 2011 12:50 PM

Thank you so much for sharing these at my last linky party! I will feature them at this week's {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you there!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

ReplyDelete
  34. These are so, SO cute!
    I'm a new follower :o)

ReplyDelete
  35. Those are adorable! I'll have to try it out, and see if my results are as good as yours! ;)

36. Cheryl @ Sew Can DoMay 9, 2011 06:03 AM

This was so cool I had to feature it at this week's Craftastic Monday party. Be sure to stop by & grab a Featured On button. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

37. love them

38. Lauren @ YoungNesterMay 10, 2011 08:37 AM

Well I loved your shoes so much I featured them on this week's Ten Buck Tuesday! Email me at youngnester(at)gmail(dot)com to get the code for the "I've been featured at Young Nester" button! Have a GREAT week!

ReplyDelete
  39. My brother in-law actually does this exact same thing, only all free hand. It is insanely good. I love that you have made it much more doable for everyone to try. I love this pattern! Thank you for sharing.

I am also hosting a giveaway, I would love it if you came and stopped by:

40. Bella@Bellabeforeandafter.blogspot.comMay 11, 2011 07:50 PM

Kaitlin, your new shoes rock girl. Can't blame you for not being crazy about the plain white vans before, but dang, they look amazing now. Totally cute.

I loved it so much I FEATURED you, I hope it puts a smile on your face.

Come grab a button girl, and display it proudly!

**Features from week #35** @ Bella Before and After

Thanks girl :)

Hugs,
    Bella

ReplyDelete
  41. These are the cutest things ever!! Thanks for sharing.

42. Amanda @ Serenity NowMay 17, 2011 06:06 PM

I bet you rock those! Thanks for linking them up at my Crafty Cutter party. :)

43. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and DreamingMay 18, 2011 05:10 PM

Kaitlin - Super clever and creative. Your shoes are adorable! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this. Hope you are having a great week ~ Stephanie Lynn

ReplyDelete
  44. I see that 43 other people have already said this...but...

these are completely adorable.

45. J A C Q U E L I N EAug 24, 2011 12:25 PM

This is so amazing! The shoes looks like it costs big money after that make over! Great job!

Load more...