Friday, April 22, 2011

Light me Up - Switch Plate!

A little while back a friend of mine asked me to help her out with a gift for a friend and of course I said SURE!  She wanted to put a specific equation onto a light switch plate so I busted out my Silhouette software and did a mock up of it.
She liked it and we decided it would look really sleek as a black plate with white lettering!
The letters were SUPER small and honestly I don't think my Silhouette cutter enjoyed cutting them that small because it kept picking up a lot of the corners and sometimes full letters.  Any one else experienced this with the SIlhouette?  I like a lot of small detail so I'm not sure if that is the issue or maybe my blade is on wrong...?

Anyways once I got the full equation on I sprayed a few coats of sealer over the plate so that the everyday use wouldn't pull off the letters.

This project has me dreaming up all kinds of designs to do in my new place.  I think I might use the vinyl as more of a stencil though and paint in the designs due to the size.  Maybe some flowers or sunbursts?

We move in two weeks!  I'm so excited!

Check out this great blog where I am linking up my Silhouette projects!  It is a blog party for all for crafty cutters!

8 comments:

1. RachelApril 22, 2011 3:33 PM

That is adorable! Seriously love it. What a cool, fun idea!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

ReplyDelete
  2. MommaHenApril 28, 2011 4:33 AM

I want a silhouette cutter!

ReplyDelete
  3. BecolorfulMay 2, 2011 7:50 AM

I JUST got a Silhouette and I am having the same problem. I used the paper blade for a paper project but a lot of it stuck to the mat and tore when I tried to remove it.
    Kind of disappointing.
    Love your project though and will feature it on Motivated Monday this week.
    Pam

ReplyDelete
  4. BecolorfulMay 2, 2011 8:16 AM

Loved this. I am sharing it today on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

ReplyDelete
  5. KellyMay 5, 2011 3:47 AM

One of the first projects I tried with my Silhouette involved tiny letters and I had the same problems so I had to find an alternative. Other then that I haven't had any problems as long as I keep my cutting mat clean. I just with I had more ideas for it.

ReplyDelete
  6. RebeccaMay 17, 2011 3:31 PM

This looks great!

ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda @ Serenity NowMay 17, 2011 6:11 PM

Neat!! I wonder if switching up the speed would help?? I've only had one project do that, and it is really frustrating. :s

ReplyDelete
  8. CaitlynMay 25, 2011 7:40 PM

Any chance you could post or send me the file for the equations? My Silhouette is coming soon and I'd LOVE to do something like this.

My dad used to have a t-shirt with that set of equations on it, so it's even got a sentimental aspect as well :)

ReplyDelete