Monday, March 7, 2011

Fabric Flower Necklace

Lately my attention keeps getting caught on fabric flower neckalces so I decided to finally make myself one!  Plus with spring coming and all the crazy snow we've had bright colors have really been on my mind so I knew my first necklace had to pop with color!
(oh and also my silhouette sd machine isn't working so all the projects I had lined up for that are on the back burner)
You can't see it that well in these photos but the baby blue actually had little white polkadots!

I am calling it version 1.0 because I already see flaws in it that I want to change but I am still proud of my first shot at it!

At first I was trying to follow this tutorial however I just couldn't get ahold of the "rose" flowers so I went back to the twisted flowers I did for my headband.

I'll try again soon but heres how it went!
I grabbed all my "extra" fabric bits and tools (ruler, scissors, glue gun, glue, fabric, felt and extra trimmings just in case). Yes my craft desk is currently the dinning room table that is crammed in a corner behind our couch!  Oh and the stack of rolled blues and yellow fabric I picked up from a thrift store this weekend!
Started arranging them...  at first when you lay them down there will be gaps but as you glue them down to can press them up against each other to minimize felt showing through!
Glued them to the felt, cut away extra felt and glued on necklace parts!  I used to make a lot of necklaces so I hand all of that supplies on hand.

I personally like the frayed edges.  I also glued little bits in the center of two of the flowers.  However I didn't realize how even the composition was until I was done!  I apparently like to make things really close to symmetrical or even as I usually say!  So next time I'm thinking if I add in a third color I can get it a little more randomized feeling with some sort of balance :P

I've worn it for the past few days though because I think it is GREAT!

- If anyone knows of any good video tutorials to do the folded flowers vs the twisted flowers let me know!  I think I would do better seeing a video to understand how exactly to fold the flower!

- So as I mentioned in the beginning I can't get my silhouette sd machine to turn on!  They are sending me a replacement power cord to see if that is the issue but while I am waiting I am trying to come up with other projects to work on.  So stay tuned for some more fabric related projects for the next week or so.

- One more thing - is it just the area I live in or have the thrift stores in general been low on furniture lately?  Honestly since Christmas all the ones around here have been really low (or completely empty) of furniture and low on donations in general!  I know it will pick up here in a bit as all the college kids move out this summer and get rid of stuff but still it seems odd to me!

Linking Up - Check out my "Where I Link Up" page!

This necklace was featured!

Momma Hen's Whatever Wednesday!

25 comments:

1. La-Dee-da crafterMarch 7, 2011 10:16 AM

so cute!! a necklace has been on my list to do. I love yours and especially the colors. So spring-y. Love it!!!
    ladeedacreations.com
    I am following you now. Love your projects.

ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am such a dork I think I'll make a few more so I can have one to go with each outfit :P Gotta color coordinate right? Thanks for following I'm on my way over to check out your blog!

3. Amber BranconierMarch 7, 2011 10:52 AM

lovely!

abranconier.blogspot.com

4. kimberly @ craftylandMarch 8, 2011 5:47 AM

i like the twisted flowers and love how they are a bit frayed.

stopping by from the polly want a crafter party!

kimberly.

5. Lauren @ YoungNesterMarch 8, 2011 12:05 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE this necklace! Thanks for linking up at Ten Buck Tuesday!

ReplyDelete
  6. What a great statement piece! Thank you for linking up at my linkie party!

7. Simply BungalowMarch 9, 2011 7:35 AM

Very cute piece. Simply Adorable!
    ~Heidi

8. BecolorfulMarch 9, 2011 8:25 AM

This is so pretty that if I didn't have the perfect thing to wear it with I would definitely go shpping. :) It is so worth it.
    Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    Pam

ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable! I love the color fabric together. Will definitely look great with lovely spring dress. Thanks for sharing. I am your new follower. You can visit me at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute...the colors are great!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!! :)

11. Nicolette @ Momnivore's DilemmaMarch 10, 2011 6:22 PM

very anthro and a great project to welcome spring...

thanks for linking up to creative juice thursday!
    nicolette

12. Walking by FaithMarch 10, 2011 8:20 PM

How cute! Found you through Creative Juice Thursday and love this necklace!

Stop my blog sometime--I'd love to have you as a follower! :) Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

13. love this! just featured ya! xo-kelli & kristi

ReplyDelete
  14. great necklace! love the blue and yellow-so springy!! sorry your silhouette isn't working-hope it is the power cord and an easy fix.

15. FrouFrouBritchesMarch 11, 2011 3:28 PM

GREAT necklace! I love the blue and yellow! So cute! I've been dying to make one of those, but I just haven't tackled it yet. Thanks for showing us the back too. I wasn't exactly sure how to do the link part to the felt part.

16. Life In The Thrifty LaneMarch 11, 2011 5:34 PM

Adorable, love the combination of colors you picked. Visiting from Amanda's party :)

17. Michelle @ShellsshabbyshackMarch 11, 2011 7:44 PM

Great colors! This will be beautiful in the summer! I can't get enough of the fabric rosettes. Thanks for sharing all the steps to making it!
    Take care!
    Michelle

ReplyDelete
  18. so cute! I dont think you need to watch a flower tutorial, yours look great! You should do a tutorial on how you did them! Definitely adding a necklace to my project list & now following :) came over on the blog hop :)

ReplyDelete
  19. This is adorable I want to try to make one thank you for sharing your creative ideas and talents. I found your project and blog through the serenity now link party

20. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.comMarch 12, 2011 11:00 PM

Adorable!!

I shared your necklace on my TT&J FB page :)

xoxx
    Jen

21. it's beautiful!!

22. Amanda @ Serenity NowMarch 13, 2011 11:29 AM

Love the blue and yellow! I like that you added "centers" to your flowers. Will have to try that. Hope your Silhouette turns on soon. I'm hosting an "I {Heart} My Crafty Cutter" linky party the week after next, and would love to have you join. :)

Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party! :)

23. Jaime @ Our JourneyMarch 14, 2011 4:52 AM

Ooh! Love it! I really like your twisted flower technique.

Jaime
    www.ohsochichi.blogspot.com
    www.theclayfamilyblog.blogspot.com

24. MommaHenMarch 15, 2011 6:08 PM

You were featured on Whatever Wednesday! Thanks for entering, hope to see you back soon :D

25. HollyMarch 17, 2011 3:44 PM

This is really pretty. I like the frayed edges too. Thanks for lining to tickled pink...I am tickled pink over your necklace! And a new follower.
    Holly