Saturday, January 1, 2011

Buttonniere

In a total of an hour and a half I taught myself how to make a boutonniere made of buttons.  I came across a photo of one a while back while looking through wedding stuff.  Only now I don't know where I got it from.

So here is how you can do it for yourself!

Supplies:
Buttons (3-4 buttons per flower)
Floral wire (22 gage)
Pin (something to fasten it the boutonniere with)
Wire cutters

Step 1:
Select 3-4 buttons (setting them on top of each other helps to show you what the flower will end up looking like)

Step 2:
Loop the floral wire through the button holes.

Step 3:
To keep buttons tight together wrap one wire around the other as a kind of stopper.

Step 4:
Twist the rest of the wire together.

Step 5:
Repeat steps 1-4 until you have the number of desired flowers for your boutonniere. I like five usually but I made one with seven that I like too.

Step 6:
Arrange the boutonniere how you like it and wrap another floral wire around the bottom.

Step 7:
Trim off extra floral wire with the wire cutters

Step 8:
Hold the pin to the back of the boutonniere and wrap floral wire around it to secure it to the boutonniere and also camouflage it.

Now take a look at your new master piece :)

I did step 1-6 last night for the two groomsmen boutonnieres and for my main squeeze's.
Then I went and picked up the pins from Fusion Beads (love that store... so much more than beads).  All together I really don't think I spent more than 90 mins on this project and I think they turned out GREAT!

I'm going to make my bouquets out of buttons too.  I'm sure the arranging is going to be a little more difficult though!  However it is fun to make the button flowers!

Linking Up: Check out my "Where I Link Up" page

21 comments:

1. That is really adorable and an innovative idea. Bet they smell nice! ;)

ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute and perfect for St. Patrick's Day too. Thanks for the "how-to" tips. I've seen some very clever bouquets (my daughter got married in September) and I love your idea. It should be darling. I'm visiting from Thrifty Thursday. I hope you'll pop over to Cottage and Creek for a visit.
    Best to you,
    Lynn

3. So fun & cute!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

4. Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot GiraffeMarch 3, 2011 5:53 PM

This is so darling!!! I hope you'll come link up to TOO Cute Tuesday!

5. HOOTIN' ANNIMarch 4, 2011 3:05 AM

Amazing!!! Who would have thought that something so common as buttons could be a work of art! Love it.

My Flaunt It link: A Beautiful Girl

Do stop by if you get a chance to visit. Happy Happy Rango Weekend.

6. Heavenly SavingsMarch 4, 2011 8:26 AM

Cute Blog! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!

7. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy PaperMarch 4, 2011 8:42 AM

So so cute! I love them for St. Patty's Day but thinking just bright and fun buttons would be perfect for any time of the year. Going to have to try this out.

8. Borrowed and BleuMarch 5, 2011 6:01 AM

Those turned out so cute! Love them!

ReplyDelete
  9. Love how these turned out! I've never seen anything like them and I think it's a great alternative to a flower corsage. It's hard to believe they were so easy to make because they look really complicated!

Thanks for visiting my blog and introducing yourself :)

10. Courtney ~ French Country CottageMarch 5, 2011 2:40 PM

They are just darling and very creative!! Thanks for coming over and sharing these at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! How original! Visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am a new follower!!
    Hope you are having a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

12. Amanda @ Serenity NowMarch 6, 2011 11:29 AM

What a fabulous idea!! It looks like something expensive and complicated...you did a great job with simplifying the tutorial. :)

Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding some new reads, and I hope you'll stop by to visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

13. Mel the Crafty ScientistMarch 6, 2011 6:26 PM

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I looked for this post that you referenced and it's super-cute - I'm a big fan of buttons myself! Your whole blog looks awesome and you're obviously a VERY talented artist!

14. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.comMarch 7, 2011 5:54 PM

aww this is so cute and sweet!! if you have a chance come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings www.ladybug-blessings.com

15. Lauren @ YoungNesterMarch 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Love this too!

ReplyDelete
  16. CUUUTE! I love the buttons. You figured it out on your own? Amazing!

17. gail@myrepurposedlife.netMarch 9, 2011 4:37 PM

very cute! off to see if you posted pics of your bouquet!
    gail

18. Michelle from Fun On A DimeMarch 10, 2011 12:50 PM

Such a cute idea!

Thanks for linking up to Friday Brag Fest!

19. Lorrie Everitt StudioMarch 11, 2011 5:38 AM

I saw these in a wedding magazine last summer too - they were in yellow and designed by an artist on etsy. I'm planning on making these this summer for a friend's daughter's wedding ... but in yellow/grey/white. I've been hunting and saving antique buttons in these colours for months now. Great tutorial!

I have a tutorial on my blog right now for making glass charm necklaces ... a great idea for flower girls and bridesmaids!

20. Lori - What Remains NowMarch 24, 2011 4:48 AM

Hi Kaitlin,

Your idea inspired me to do a button bouquet on my blog http://www.whatremainsnow.com. It's the post for March 24, 2011. I enjoy being one of your new readers.

21. KristinaMay 27, 2011 6:08 PM

I think it's interesting that we both linked up posts of monograms, and green boutonnieres. You can check mine out at www.alwaysspringtimeflowers.com

Load more...